Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Pres. Clinton on Sen. Clinton, Sen. Kerry, and Vice-President Gore

Defending his wife after a recent gaffe, President Clinton said this...
The point I'm here to make to you is whoever you're for, this is a really big election. We saw what happened the last seven years when we made decisions in elections based on trivial matters. When we listened to people make snide comments about whether Vice President Gore was too stiff.

And when they made dishonest claims about the things that he said that he'd done in his life. When that scandalous Swift Boat ad was run against Senator Kerry.
Al Gore didn't lose because he was "stiff," he lost because he's an attention-mongering lightweight who was too close to the Clintons.  John Kerry didn't lose because of the dishonest claims about his Vietnam service, he lost because of "I voted for it before I voted against it."

And in this case, what has military service or personal appearance have to do with Sen. Clinton's debate response?  The moderator asked a policy question, and she gave a policy answer.  She should indeed be criticized for stumbling.

But every candidate stumbles, and I'm sure Sen. Clinton will recover.  I believe the above comments show a different problem.  Pres. Clinton wields a tremendous amount of influence, which he is calling on to sway voters on his wife's behalf.  Having the two of them in office is, in my opinion, an egregious concentration of power.  I'm tired of the Bush family, I don't want to go through the whole thing again for another eight years with the Clintons.

And on a different tangent, I'd love to see a reporter stick a microphone in Pres. or Sen. Clinton's face and ask "Do you believe illegal immigration is a trivial matter?"